Treatment For Plantar Fasciitis
Treatment for Foot Heel Pain
Treatments for foot heel pain include cortisone injections, anti-inflammatory medications, physical therapy, night splints, orthotics and/or surgery. Custom Orthotics are generally the best long-term treatment for this problem, as symptomatic treatment, is more often than not, only temporary.
How did I get Plantar Fasciitis?
Common contributors to this condition include: progressive flattening of the arches over time (primary reason); lack of flexibility in the calf muscles; changes in activity levels; overuse; and weight gain. When your arch drops, the plantar fascia begins to tear away from its insertion at your heel. When this happens over a long period of time, it can overcome the body’s ability to repair itself.
How is Plantar Fasciitis treated?
There are two main concepts in the treatment of plantar fasciitis:
- Decrease of inflammation
- Address the cause of the condition
- Stretching and Exercise: Stretching exercises are aimed at lengthening the plantar fascia in an attempt to lessen the pull on your heel. Increasing the length of the calf muscles is a very important part of any treatment. Tightness in this muscle group can cause excess pronation (arch drop), which may contribute to plantar fasciitis.
- Anti-Inflammatory Agents: These may include ice and oral anti-inflammatory medications. These may provide some temporary relief from the pain of inflammation,
- Night Splints: A device worn at night to prevent contraction of the plantar fascia and to maintain calf flexibility. These will usually lessen the first step in the morning pain and relieve symptoms temporarily. They can be uncomfortable to wear for some, but generally provide some relief.
- Corticosteroid Injections: This involves the injection of a steroid directly into the heel and site of inflammation. Usually reserved for intractable or difficult cases, this may provide more relief than oral anti-inflammatory medications. Talk to your doctor about the indications and risks for this treatment.
- Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy: A high or low frequency sound wave is delivered to the area in an attempt to speed the healing process. Usually 1 to 3 treatments are required, and depending on the intensity of the sound wave an anesthetic may be used. The outcomes of this treatment are unproven and you should discuss the risks with your doctor.
- Surgery: In cases that do not respond to conservative measures, surgical release of the plantar fascia may be a consideration. Cutting the plantar fascia will lessen the pull on the heel, but may have long term consequences including further flattening of the arch (since the plantar fascia contributes about 30% to the stability of the arch).
- Foot Orthotics: The right custom orthotics are often the best defense in the prevention of plantar fasciits and the most reliable long-term cure for existing conditions. An ICON orthotic, unlike typical custom orthotics, is designed to completely support the corrected arch of your foot, determined by a unique way of capturing your optimal foot position. A restored arch significantly reduces the daily pull on the plantar fascia by relaxing the bowstring function of the fascia. It is the only practical way to address both the symptoms AND the cause of your problem.
How long does it take to heal from foot heel pain?
If left alone, foot heel pain can take from 6 to 18 months to heal. This can be frustrating, interfere with your ability to work and other activities, and the problem can come back. With Icon foot orthotics, you can expect 50-70% relief the first month, 70-90% the second month and 90-100% the third. Regular orthotic use can insure that the problem does not return.
If you have any questions about Plantar Fasciitis or any other foot heel pain or problems, contact Dr Marc Klein today at 561-447-7571.
Specialty Podiatry Areas:
Custom Foot Orthotics
Our custom made foot orthotics make full contact with the foot. That direct support enables our orthotics to actually change how your foot functions during everyday activities . . .Custom Foot Orthotics
Laser Toenail Fungus Treatment
We offer patients who suffer from toenail fungus infections to the newest technology in nail fungus treatment, the PinPointe Laser, the first approved laser for toenail fungus by the FDA . . .Laser Toenail Fungus Treatment
Foot & Ankle Surgery
Specializing in advanced reconstructive foot & ankle surgery; the surgical repair of fractures, ligament and tendon ruptures; trauma cases, and wound care . . .Foot & Ankle Surgery
Sports Injury Surgery
At our Boca Raton podiatry offices, we offer only the most advanced techniques for the diagnosis and treatment of podiatric conditions and sports injury surgery . . .Sports Injury Surgery
Boca Raton Podiatry in the News
Boca podiatrist Dr Marc Klein has appeared on CBS News, ABC, NBC, and Comcast.
South Florida Podiatrist In The News
What Our Patients Say
by Charlie A.
"I experienced heel pain for about a year and a half and it got to the point where I couldn't get out of bed...Now I'm back up to about 98% and I can crank out 2 hour runs without any pain and no problem at all."
"I have had problems with my feet for many years, and I had stopped exercising because of it. I was fitted with a sports orthotic by Dr Klein, and with his help I have had a improvement with them. I am back to running and could not have done it without Dr. Klein."
"I visited Dr. Klein due to a Plantar problem in my right heel. Dr. Klein was extremely professional in his diagnosis and treatment of my problem. My condition was extremely painful to me for three weeks prior to my visit. I was fitted for a specialty sports orthotic and the results were dramatic. I no longer have pain when I walk or play golf. my balance in my golf swing has greatly improved and walking is no longer a painful experience. Highly recommend."
Marc B. Klein, DPM
Rated 5 Stars
Foot or Ankle Pain?
Accurate diagnosis is paramount when it comes to treating your foot ailment. You are in the best hands with Dr. Marc Klein and his team. Get an accurate diagnosis and the best treatment available, make an appointment with our office today.